Tuesday, August 02, 2005

headaches and better things

You know, one thing I've learned in my 32 years noodling about this planet is that there are some people who can make me sick.

I know one person, fortunately in my past now, who even the thought of consistently gives me a splitting headache. When this person was a part of my life, I had the same splitting headaches regularly, but I explained it to myself as a work-related issue, because as a writer and editor I spend a lot of time sitting in one position. But I'm still doing that kind of work and it's clear now that I don't get headaches from it.

Even now, whenever I think about this person I get a headache, but because I'm happily going along and generally enjoying my life, it sometimes takes a bit of time to put two and two together.

As in:

Q: Why do I have this terrible headache all of a sudden, when I'm actually enjoying life quite a lot right now?

[confused pause during which I ponder why? why? why?]

A: Oh right, I made the mistake of thinking about that person for a bit.

Anyone else have someone like that?

Though I think overall it's been good for me to have encountered difficult and challenging personalities, I'm glad this particular one is out of the picture.

On a happier note, I just finished reading Love by Toni Morrison. She's so good. She's a genius! Although completely bowled over by her talent and her glorious brains, I will still dream (-- because what's the harm?) of writing as well as she does (-- though never like her, impossible) -- and I am mildly comforted by the fact that she wrote her first novel at 39.

1 Comments:

At August 03, 2005 9:10 a.m., Blogger The Dude said...

Oh man, Toni Morrison is so good. Beloved still gives me goosebumps.

What gives me headaches is slapping myself hard on the head for wasting an hour of life watching really bad tv. Again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home