Tuesday, August 02, 2005

parallel universe

Tonight my mom and I were alone together, which meant drinking wine, and cooking and eating dinner before 8 PM. (My dad is notoriously late for the evening meal, which means it isn't uncommon for my parents to eat dinner starting at 9 PM, so very continental.)

We ate about 30 barbequed garlic shrimp each. They were delicious. I mean, so delicious I felt grateful to be alive and able to taste them.


As I was cooking the shrimp, standing out on the patio, looking at my mother's beautiful garden that she works so hard at, all in the height of its long summer glory, I turned to her and asked, "Did you ever, of all the ways your life could have turned out, imagine that you might have been living in a house like this, with a garden like this?"


To which she replied, "I never wanted a house or kids. I was never going to have either, you know that?"


So I said "Well, I always expected I'd have a family and a house, and I'm sort of thinking, maybe I won't, maybe that's just not how it will go."


And she cheerfully responded, "Yup, I mean, you might just end up a street person for all we know!"

1 Comments:

At August 03, 2005 10:10 a.m., Blogger The Dude said...

Family and house is overrated. For one thing, you don't have to deal with poo all the time. For another, you can leave for the Yukon for a month and not worry about the begonias drying up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home