Monday, November 12, 2007

you don't know it, but you are full of stars

Last year (you know, the year where I did not NaBlow it and posted every day), I came across a lot of great blogs. And until proven wrong, and though I've never met these people in the flesh, I'm going with the probability that there are real humans writing those blogs.*

A lot of those blogs are ones I still visit a couple times a week (whether their authors know it or not), but two really stand out: Isoglossia (JDS and Magda, who I am ready to have over for dinner any time) and Matt Hooker of Kentucky Waterfall fame (who painted these amazing fighting trucks, and my favourite painting of Death dancing with song birds like Snow White).

It's not just that after discovering them through NaBloPoMo I started reading both their blogs regularly -- it's that I know they read my blog too, and (apparently) come back even when I go several days without a decent post, or weakly fall back on IM conversations for content.

It seems we also semi-regularly comment on each other's stuff. These inter-blog connections make for a wonderful, odd sort of conversation, and they've been going on for a whole year. It feels like the best thing about the internet. (Followed very very closely by Brad Neely's Professor Brothers on SuperDeluxe.)



So who did you find (last year or this year) and start reading regularly? Tell me about the magic.

-----
*Thanks for raising this concern, JDS.

2 Comments:

At November 13, 2007 5:30 a.m., Blogger sgazzetti said...

I am still waiting for someone to invent a way for a browser to divulge enough track-back info that you can sort out when and how you stumbled on something. In the meantime, though, I am glad that I took the time to write down a few of the blogs I discovered through NaBloPoMo last year. Yours, of course, and also Citizen of the Month, which is just silly and wonderful.

Oddly, last year I stumbled on a NEST OF FERTILITY, because pretty much everyone whose blog I found last November has since had a child (including myself). These include, but are not limited to:
Juliloquy
and The Kilowatthour,
each of whom has had a baby quite recently. Needless to say, they are not participating in NaBloPoMo this year.

(And KwH was the winner of the Aleksander birthdate pool. Then she ALSO won a similar pool on Juliloquy. I know, weird.)

By the way, I recommend doubling up on the birth control.

 
At November 13, 2007 11:48 a.m., Blogger This is for you! said...

I somehow found my way onto a blog about "a lovely lady who pours out her daily drivel" It is just an account of this woman's life as she deals with and learns from her toddler and husband. Its really simple and sweet, not at all sassy but I really loved it. When I was first engaged and everyone around me was going crazy with possible wedding plans I loved reading it and dreaming about what my family could end up being like. It kept me grounded. I ended up emailing her to thank her for all her lovely writing and we've ended up having an uneasy email correspondence. Uneasy because she probably thinks I'm a stalker but I'm okay with that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home