Thursday, March 22, 2007

music I am currently playing repeatedly

A few weeks ago at a great little live music joint in the countryside near my city I heard Beirut played between sets of Bob Wiseman. (BOB FREAKING WISEMAN!!!!!)



So having recently become enamoured of the Beirut album Gulag Orkestar, I was going to post the youtube video for "Scenic World", shot in a Sweet n' Low factory -- but it has since been removed or made private or something. Seems this song is becoming some sort of hit, but I like to narcissistically pretend that I just found it myself independently and am the only one playing it my car (yes, still the Ratt, I give it up in a few days) and singing at the top of my lungs. So go listen to it on the Beirut myspace page linked above instead.

If you're wondering who the hell Bob Wiseman is, go check out his site (linked above) and maybe even email his mom. Here's a little Bob video for you as well. And his blog.

4 Comments:

At March 22, 2007 1:15 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, just Mike here. I saw Bob Wiseman play at the Lowry Club in Burnaby, oh, in 1994 I think. He was wearing a gold-coloured jump suit and played by himself on a plugged-in acoustic guitar? Make sense? I think it was plugged in, it had a gravelly feel. Anyway, he sang a song about not getting a record deal from Geffen. But all I really remember is the jump suit . . . the best live show I ever saw was the Rheostatics at the Railway club, 1996 or 7. Was anyone at that?

 
At March 23, 2007 11:05 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wasn't at that Rheostatics gig, but I was at one somewhere in Gastown in Vancouver circa 1992- but I remember almost none of it because it was part of the long excruciating process of being dumped by my much too old for me Quebecois narcissist boyfriend. All I remember is that he and his friends talked in French all night long and then he wanted to drop me at a bus stop rather than have the shared taxi take me all the way home. Man, was I a dupe then...I'm sure the music was super!

 
At March 24, 2007 12:39 a.m., Blogger r. zip said...

thanks banjeroo.
hey anonymous i never wore a gold jumpsuit. gold necklaces probably. everyone knows i am all about bling.

best live show sun ra nyc in the 80's.

 
At March 24, 2007 1:19 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bob, Mike here again. My recollections tend toward the fanciful, but could it not have been a white or perhaps silver jump suit with gold decorations? I seem also to remember it having rather wide collars. I may have to get some friends to weigh in on this, if I can find them. Thanks a bunch.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home