Monday, January 22, 2007

movies I would own, if I believed in that kind of thing

Personally, I'm alarmed (and kind of turned off) when someone brags about their huge DVD collection. Why? Oh, here's why:

1) How many of those will you actually watch more than once?

2) Is it really worth the cost and the clutter and the plastic to be able to just sit on your ass at home and say, for example, "I want to watch King Kong RIGHT NOW" and just pop it in? Is it really such a pain to go get it from the video store? Or even order it to your house using Zip (Canada) or Netflix (States)?

3) If the answers to #2 are sincere YESes, I think: Honey? Maybe it's time for you to go out and see some live music or something.

AND FINALLY:

4) My grandfather collected VHS films. All the classics. He had a special shelving unit constructed to house them. Trust me. Collecting movies is a BAD IDEA.


Anyway, there are a few movies that I love and cherish so dearly that if I WERE the type to own DVDs, I would want to own these just to feel them close to me and near at hand, even in cold, sharp, wasteful, soon-to-be obsolete DVD form; (although even then, it's still a stretch):

1) Brazil
2) Babette's Feast
3) The Colour of Paradise
4) Dr. Strangelove
5) and MAYBE Spinal Tap, or Waiting for Guffman

You?

8 Comments:

At January 22, 2007 1:53 p.m., Blogger Jonathan Beckett said...

Guilty as charged... we have HUNDREDS of DVDs, and I know they are going to be obselete before too long...

On a hopeful note, we have started subscribing to a movie channel instead of buying any more.

 
At January 22, 2007 3:41 p.m., Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

I started hoarding them when DVDs first came out, so now I have a sizable collection, but have now stopped cold turkey for about six months now ... Why keep buying when there's that magical Netflix .. I already own all the choices on your list except for Waiting for Guffman, so I'm probably covered anyway

 
At January 22, 2007 6:12 p.m., Blogger banjeroo said...

Thank you Jonathan and RF for not flaming me, by the way. Even my most self-righteous-sounding posts are meant in good humour...

 
At January 23, 2007 12:33 p.m., Blogger The Dude said...

Definitely Brazil. Also Swingers, Blade Runner, Hoop Dreams, and the A&E version of Pride and Predjudice. Everything else is crap. Buying movies is for suckahs.

 
At January 23, 2007 2:10 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see that you failed to admit that you DO own a movie (okay, only a short Christmas special...) on DVD.

To help set the record straight, Banjeroo owns The Grinch Who Stole Christmas.

 
At January 26, 2007 3:18 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOLOLOL The Grinch Who Stole Christmas LOL Oh wait a minute...so do I!

 
At January 30, 2007 10:44 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well as long as your list of favorite moview to own if your were that kind of person jive with your list of favorite movies in your profile - i am okay with it all

 
At January 30, 2007 10:46 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have a couple dozen and several TV series. I find that when we have a couple of hours to kill or are just too lazy to do something useful, it is nice to pop Tommy Boy or a Strangers with Candy episode in. No channel surfing, no surprises. Of course, we can watch the same movie or episodes over and over and over.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home