Wednesday, January 17, 2007

"It's not just the end of the world, it's Ptarmageddon!!"

So spake my friend, Blackbelt Barrister, who pointed something out to me that must likewise be brought to the attention of my tiny but apparently enthusiastic readership.

Canada, this great land of ours, is full of -- and yields unto our eyes -- many wonders.

This time, one of those wonders is Ptarmageddon!!!11!1!!!!

"Research scientist and amateur sleuth Robyn Devara is looking forward to a trip to the Yukon with her boyfriend, Kelt Roberson, when he tells about the bloody murder of a reclusive ptarmigan researcher."


I just can't figure out if this is a joke. (No offense to the author.)

More or less on-topic, I grew up watching the fabulous Hinterland Who's Who public service announcements. American and international readers will not understand how affecting that flute line is (to me).

So without further ado, I give you, THE WILLOW PTARMAGEDDON!!! I mean, ptarmigan. Ahem:



I'll see if I can dig up a pic I have of a ptarmigan from one of my trips north, doing its best "why you see me? I camoflaged [sic]" impression.

Stay tuned. And if you are familiar with the HWW clips, what's your favourite?

-------
UPDATE

This IM from Blackbelt Barrister, who was on exactly the same wavelength, apparently:

You could have quite a fruitful discussion on whether Canadian literature is the most parochial on earth
not to say a lot isn't very good
have you seen the You Tube video about spiders that is a mock Hinterland Who's who?


So here it is:


5 Comments:

At January 17, 2007 3:29 p.m., Blogger The Dude said...

Reminds me of one of my favourite Clash tunes.

A lot of people running and a hiding tonight
A lot of people won't get no justice tonight
Remember to kick it over
No one will guide you - Armagideon time

 
At January 17, 2007 3:58 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how that flute theme stirs my heart, I can almost feel the synthetic shag carpet of my childhood home crinkling beneath my feet. Do you suppose anyone did ever contact the Canadian Wildlife Federation for more information in Ottawa? You were always exhorted to contact some organisation in Ottawa, I grew up thinking the capital was some sort of fount of all knowledge, not to mention skill-testing questions.

As for clever Armageddon-based puns, who could leave out Def Leppard, who coined the immortal lyrics, 'Are you geddin' it? Armageddon it!' Thus ingeniously uniting smut and destruction in one rockin' tune.

 
At January 18, 2007 3:50 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another Hinterland Who's Who anecdote- a friend of mine at university actually played the Willow Ptarmigan in a drama department spoof. He had to come on stage with feathers stuck to his feet and pretend to be camouflaged while the voice over said, 'The Willow Ptarmigan is a stupid bird.' There's just something about that announcer's voice, so calm, so soothing- if he made a relaxation tape thousands of 30 something neurotic Canadians would buy it.

 
At January 30, 2007 1:07 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did anyone notice it said "First Church of Christ Film 2006" at the bottom of the Hinterland spoof?

 
At February 03, 2007 10:59 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can view all of the original Hinterland Who's Who videos plus a series of new ones at www.hww.ca. Enjoy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home