Monday, January 01, 2007

another glass of headache please

Although it's terribly adolescent to list what you've imbibed:

- several bottles of delicious Italian reds, including a finale of amarone, all of which we sniffed and discussed and enjoyed in an entirely unpretentious manner
- 5-yr old madeira (Who does this anymore? I mean really, doesn't it seem very drunk-old-aunties? Rah!)
- aged port (Yum.)

We even had a cheese course with all this for chrissakes. How decadent. How continental.

Also, we enjoyed the Dutch wonder of GEVULDE SPECULAAS. There is no other dessert for me from now on. Screw chocolate.

My brother goes back the other side of the country tomorrow. My sister and her BF* go back to Whitehorse tomorrow. I go back to whatever the hell I do tomorrow.

How've YOU been?

--
*The ones I did this trip with and this trip. I love them. And I love my brother and his GF too. I would tell you this even if I wasn't drunk on multiple glasses of red wine, madeira, and port. I swear.

6 Comments:

At January 02, 2007 2:44 p.m., Blogger The Dude said...

Nothing but a well-aged belgian-style trippel, some bitter, and a pilsner. Oh, and a Mill Street Barleywine on Christmas eve.

Had to hit the sack at 10 on NYE, though... got the gift of stomach flu from X. The gift that keeps on giving.

 
At January 02, 2007 4:12 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like you forgot to mention the pre-dinner drink, a small glass of Bols Advocaat egg liqueur, another Dutch specialty.

Aren't you relieved we forgot to pop open that bottle of champagne still sitting in the fridge?

 
At January 03, 2007 10:52 a.m., Blogger Hooker said...

Man. I had port once. Ancient port from my ex girlfriend's rich old grandparents. It was like cough syrup. It was a surreal scene. They invited us to.... hang out... with them. . after a big dinner for her grandmother's bday. "Want to come back to the house for some drinks?"

Then we stood there in the kitchen drinking like a bunch of teenagers.

 
At January 03, 2007 4:42 p.m., Blogger Jonathan Beckett said...

I'm sat here figuring out that red wine doesn't work with a snotty nose. The taste is all wrong (ewww)

Also the kilogram of pizza I ate isn't helping.

 
At January 05, 2007 1:58 p.m., Blogger Katharine said...

That's a really shoddy speculaas recipe you've provided. Listen, the one we ate on New Year's requires weeks of preparation (seriously!). The almond paste has to sit wrapped in the fridge for 2 weeks minimum, and I know you wouldn't dare use margarine! Also, black pepper is an essential ingredient missing from this wimpy recipe. If you want the real thing, ask M's sister for their family recipe (passed down through all the dutch generations)

 
At January 05, 2007 2:04 p.m., Blogger banjeroo said...

Yeah, that recipe was just provided to give a very general idea to readers. I should have mentioned that what we ate was a spectacular labour-intensive version of speculaas full of only the finest ingredients.

I am SO going to write to M's sister to get that recipes, since it is just about the most delicious freaking thing that has ever passed my lips.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home