Wednesday, January 31, 2007

bargains galore

I know many people experience it as an frustrating outdoor activity nightmare that involves ribbons of frozen snot, painfully cold extremities and crushing exhaustion, but to me there are few things better than cross-country skiing. Because I love frozen snot.

On Sunday, the sun was out, the trees around us golden columns reaching for blue sky and my skis were perfectly waxed (which means, if you don't know, that I got to guzzle from the magical cocktail of control and speed).

About two hours into the woods, we glided on a back-country trail past yet another frozen little beaver pond framed in cedars and old silvery dead pines. We stopped for a moment to rest and look around. I could hear nothing but my own breathing. I watched a pebble-sized clump of snow drift down through the cold clean air from a nearby treetop.

"You know what?" my pal said.

"What?" I replied.

"The problem here is, we should be in a mall, shopping today. I mean think of it. Where are the bargains? WE ARE NOT SAVING ANY MONEY."

----

And only because I can't stop raving about CBC's Wiretap, look, they posted a few more audio clips!! And do my eyes deceive me or do they promise to add more? Now if only they'd offer it in some format other than the absolute shite known as RA, I'd be in heaven.

Honestly, Wiretap is so good that by the end of the half hour I feel like I'm in love, but I'm not sure with who.

2 Comments:

At January 31, 2007 5:10 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love to downhill ski, but my memories of cross country skiing all involve pre-teen angst and wishing I was anywhere else. Perhaps I should try it again as an adult.

 
At February 02, 2007 5:01 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember well a Boxing Day in our youth when our uncle M seriously tried to convince us that the more we bought, the more we saved. "If you spend a hundred bucks, you only save fifty, BUT if you spend a THOUSAND dollars, you're saving FIVE HUNDRED! That's even more than you were going to spend in the first place - all saved!!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home