Friday, November 10, 2006

books on the back of my toilet

Art Objects by Jeanette Winterson. I love this book. I haven't read anything else by her.

The Bhagavad Gita, by Untold Thousands who have passed down or added to the narrative over the millenia. You know, for a little "hot Krishna action" (as one might say) in times of need, to mix a little sacred with your profane.

I once left my copy of Anna Karenina on the back of the toilet, and a visiting friend exited the loo with it in hand, held it up accusingly, and said "you expect too much of us, you know. How about a little Esquire, maybe Time magazine? I got so wrapped up in Levin's existential angst I forgot what I was doing in there."

4 Comments:

At November 10, 2006 6:02 p.m., Blogger Hannah said...

I keep Marx on the loo.

So check out Winterson's The Passion! Phenomenal.

 
At November 11, 2006 2:46 a.m., Blogger ybr (alias ybrao a donkey) said...

What are your views on Gita?
www.bhagavadgitayb.blogspot.yb

 
At November 11, 2006 10:22 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm reading Anna Karenina at the moment - this is the first time I have ever seen anybody talk about poor old Levin :)

So far I have been pretty annoyed with Anna...

 
At November 11, 2006 12:10 p.m., Blogger Francesca said...

We currently have Theodore Adorno, something about Iraq and Dr. Seuss next to the toilet. Oh, and some old Vogue Knitting magazine as well as several crumpled copies of Private Eye (British satirical news magazine).

I second Purloined recommendation for Jeannette (although I do not find everything of hers equally palatable).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home