Monday, November 13, 2006

dopplegängers

My aunt and uncle came back from a cycling trip around Ireland and reported that my dopplegänger lives in County Cork. I have to take their word for it. I am often told by strangers and friends that I look like someone else they know. Maybe I have a generic face.

I think it was my Arabic prof, a Palestinian Christian who studied Islam, who told me that the great practical joke in the Middle East is that God made 15 of each face -- that for each face there are five Muslims, five Jews, and and five Christians who look identical. One day fate will conspire so that their paths cross, and they will realize, on looking in these living mirrors, that they are all alike in a fundamental way, all brothers and sisters (or so the idea goes). Then atrocities will be forgiven, diverse groups will start to co-operate and compromise like a respectful, loving, functional family, and peace will reign. Whoo-hoo!

Here's a neat photo set of look-alikes.

Have you ever met your dopplegänger? (The evil OR benign version.)

3 Comments:

At November 13, 2006 5:09 p.m., Blogger think tank said...

I've been told that I bear somewhat of a resemblance to Colbert, from Comedy Central, who does the Colbert Report. Kind of, when I do my facial gestures.

The first time I heard about it was on an episode of CSI a few years ago. Neat concept.

 
At November 13, 2006 9:26 p.m., Blogger Sarah Moïse Young said...

God, that's awesome! Apparently I have a one, but I've never met her. She graduated from my boarding school the year before I got there, and after escaping from a city where everyone thought I was my sister, it was an incredible blow to suddenly to expect autonomy and instead to be called Betsy, the name of someone I'd never even met. At least with my sister, I could get away with some perks, like underage drinking. Apparently this Betsy person was just evil, so I got slapped with that as well as her crummy name (hope your mom's not named Betsy).

 
At November 14, 2006 11:47 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a friend who did not actually look like me but for some reason, people confused us all the time. She was a brunette and I am blonde but people still thought that I was her and she was me- to the point that when I was carrying on a torrid affair with a German engineer (well, sort of,I don't think they have a word for 'torrid' in Schwabisch) on the second floor of our university residence, people gossiped about her instead. Ha ha!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home