Thursday, September 28, 2006

I'm more an "ideas" person

I "invented" this in grade 2 or 3:



New Invention Roller Coaster
Can take you to school, outerspace, and under water. 10 people can fit in one.


(Really, all the places a kid would ever need to go!)

Even then I knew that numbers 10 and higher should be represented numerically, and that numbers under 10 should be written out. (Remarkable!)

I clearly remember deciding to make the whole transitway out of wood. (In the center of the drawing you can see I actually drew one panel of boards held in place by nails, then gave up and just coloured the whole thing brown to convey the idea of wood.) I guess my understanding of structural and material integrity was a bit underdeveloped. Because otherwise I suppose I might have thought about using something a little stronger than wood to go into outerspace and under water.

Note also that I deliberately set a few of the roller coaster cars on a collision course and their drivers look worried, and that the driver splashing into the water is screaming. I think I imagined collision course cars would just hop over each other somehow, but then, as evidenced in my materials selection, I really wasn't thinking that clearly about the details. I probably just set it up like that to make my friends laugh.

Also dig the Hello Kitty stamps. And that I was doing some arcane name-numerology-love-compatibility calculations with my friend Joanne's name and those of some of her suitors/love-interests.

Joanne ended up being a competitive biathlete. I wonder if things ever worked out with Kevin or Jason and if they liked her lycra outfits and rifle.

4 Comments:

At September 29, 2006 12:17 p.m., Blogger The Dude said...

Those things look way to small to hold 10 people. I hope the teacher gave you an F. Otherwise, nice stars, so I suppose it should get an F+.

 
At September 29, 2006 7:23 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

You fail to mention in your seemingly probing self-analysis that the cars are _gendered_! Jesus. Post your 700 drawings of handbags from when you were eight, why don't you. (^v^)

 
At September 30, 2006 11:16 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you are now a very good writer and even editor, but I must point out to you that it was, in fact, incorrect to use the figures for "10" rather than spelling out the word "ten". Some style guides do suggest using the numeric form for "10 and up", but others prefer the writer to use the spelled word if the number can be written in fewer than three words.
Add to this that, if the number starts a sentence, it should always be written out, and I suggest that you did not quite have as sophisticated a grip on higher-level writing standards as you think you did.
GREAT DESIGN AND DRAWING THOUGH!!! You should have gone for a B.Eng., not a B.A. That is where your talents clearly lie....

 
At October 01, 2006 10:14 a.m., Blogger banjeroo said...

Yeah, older sister, good point. I do know that I'm not supposed to start sentences with numbers represented numerically. Want to edit my posts? :) Even editors need editors sometimes.

I'm going back to school to get a B.Eng, then maybe a P.Eng, then maybe I'll design the best mofo roller-coaster IN THE WORLD!!! (and outerspace)...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home