Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The "Voice of Canada" was a Russian Jew and "America's Sweetheart" was a Canadian Catholic!

If that doesn't prove that we can all just get along, what does?

So, WOW! Who knew! Well, it's not entirely accurate to call Lorne Greene a Russian Jew. He was Canadian, but his parents were Russian Jewish immigrants who came to Canada. And his middle name was Hyman!(I almost typed "hymen"... sorry.)


I suppose it doesn't actually mean anything. I was just surprised and delighted by this somehow.

The reason I found this out is because I discovered his handsome mug on a Canadian stamp today, joining John Candy, Fay Wray, and Mary Pickford, "America's Sweetheart"!

They were issued in May. I suppose I don't buy stamps very often.


Today I bought 5 books of them, and now I have little Lorne Greene heads all over my stuff (and my face) (and there are some in the elevator to our building now too).

Get them now from Canada Post!!

1 Comments:

At September 29, 2006 7:17 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

(excerpt from new Lorne Green biography...)
The Russian Jews are ready for their journey, their long fur coats and hats thick and shiny after a summer spent gorging on salted fish. But the coming winter will be a cold one, and due to the current geopolitical climate the road to Nova Scotia has never been more treacherous. WILL THEY SURVIVE... in the NEW wilderness?
(end excerpt)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home