Wednesday, August 16, 2006

two and two


These humpbacks swam right past the point we were camped on, and did a bubble net feed in front of us. I don't have a shot of the bubble net feed happening because I was too busy standing literally agog, but it looked pretty much exactly like the ones at the top of this page.

My sister and her partner hopped in the tandem kayak to be on the water when the whales came by (we could see them moving down the inlet toward us) but didn't realize they'd come up quite so close. There were about six or seven whales in the pod.

1 Comments:

At August 20, 2006 3:13 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy smokes! Why "Bubble *Net*"? Those fearsome whales with their weirdly militaristic terminology.

Oh, I guess I already understand. They make a ring of bubbles around the fish, working as a team, making the school denser, and then plunge into it to take huge gaping mouthfuls?

And maybe they're not fish, they're krill. I should just wikipedia this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home