Thursday, January 19, 2006

Spontaneous me!

"Spontaneous me," sang Whitman, and, in his innocence, let loose the hordes of uninspired scribblers who would one day confuse spontaneity with genius.

The breezy style is often the work of an egocentric, the person who imagines that everything that comes to mind is of general interest and that uninhibited prose creates high spirits and carries the day." - The Elements of Style, (Strunk and White)


The breezy style can also be the work of someone who has just had a long fun chat with her roommate, Melvellous, and who has consumed more than her half of a lovely bottle of Alsace Riesling.

I am actually so certain that I'll only write crap today that I'll cut myself off now.

But not without saying: I ATE TOO MUCH CHOCOLATE TODAY, IT MADE ME UNCOMFORTABLY HYPER, AND I DON'T PARTICULARLY WANT TO GO TO DISNEYLAND. (I am going to Disneyland this weekend for a conference for work, and to me it is just a sordid example of the horrors of mindless consumption and overripe capitalism. But I will probably enjoy a few of the rides nonetheless. What the hell.)

Over and out,
Spontaneous Me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home