Tuesday, January 31, 2006

banjeroo weighs in on the new age

I can handle quite a lot of new age, but I'm also totally hypocritical about what I can handle and what I can't. For example, yoga = fine, mysticism = fine (as long as you're quiet about it, otherwise it's just narcissism), astrology = fine and funny, chicken soup for my ass = fuck off.

I kind of irrationally hate the idea of men's groups too. How horrible is that? What kind of bitch am I? I think to myself, why can't guys just hang out and talk to each other?

Some other scientific equations a la banjeroo:

Rumi translated by AJ Arberry = fine

Rumi translated by Robert Bly = fine, but as long as you know he's playing fast and loose with the language and distorting a lot of it and morphing it into a non-Islamic thing (and Rumi was definitely Muslim)

Robert Bly telling men to beat drums in the woods
= unforgivable, off with his head!

------
UPDATE:

My friend emailed me this, and I concede, I agree with her "men's groups" refinement:
"I'm cackling. Since you asked, I think it may be a bit harsh to dismiss someone for being in a men's group, depending of course on what kind of men's group it is (self-awareness = fine; women have stolen our power, get it back = fuck off). Anyone in a chicken soup for my ass group would be in serious danger of being dismissed by me; man, woman or otherwise."


2 Comments:

At February 01, 2006 10:08 a.m., Blogger The Dude said...

I find dreamcatchers vaguely annoying too. And Enya.

 
At February 12, 2006 10:40 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

You see, if guys hang out and talk to each other -- and, with more difficulty, listen to each other -- they end up not needing women for that. Deprived of half their historical purpose for existence, women are naturally annoyed. :)

But real men don't go to men's groups, so actually you can consider men's groups as a useful sorting mechanism.

But honestly, what's a men's group?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home