Friday, May 20, 2005

This is how I ruin songs

I know, I know.

The thing is, that song, the one I've been going on about, Wuthering Heights, by Kate Bush, really is a perfect sing-it-to-yourself song. Operatic, catchy, melodramatic, and perfect for wildly interpretive overly expressive vocals. It's the kind of song, that if you're alone, you can belt it out and express all the angst and loneliness and ache in your sad little heart in a joyous atonal celebratory human wailing -- that simply must never be inflicted on others. (Note: the bridge is hard to sing along with though, and not as satisfying, so I just block it out and hyperventilate through it to prepare my lungs for the next chorus.)

I am driving 2.5 hours by myself to a white-water canoe course this weekend, and I am going to listen to that song possibly 40 times on the way and sing myself hoarse.

Other songs that I think are great to sing along to, preferably alone (in no particular order):

1) original theme song for Star Trek rendered in falsetto while in the shower (value is in sheer self-irritation power)

2) Gender Bombs by the Stills (though until I checked the lyrics I thought "the girl will school you" in the chorus was "the guilt will screw you", so take note, psychoanalysts)

3) Rock Bottom as sung by Ralph Stanley and the Clinch Mountain Boys (sing it from your heart straight through your nose, the unbeatable chorus: "Rock bottom, rock bottom, / I hit rock bottom when I fell in love with you")

4) My Little Blue Window by Elvis Costello "This is a calling card/ Or maybe it will be a farewell note / The poison fountain pen now requires the antidote... (skipping now to the chorus) My lovely hooligan / Come by and smash my pane / Til I can see right through / My little blue window". Not necessarily The Man's best lyrics, but who gives a crap when it is so satisfying in other ways? Especially this part, where you get to really cut it loose and practically yell: "How am I ever gonna make you see? / Nothing in this ugly world comes easily."

I can't think of any more right now. Confess now. What are yours?

2 Comments:

At May 23, 2005 8:08 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I quite enjoy singing along to 'Hounds of Love', especially the barking parts.

Russell Crowe is a Kate Bush fan? There's hope for him yet, despite his fall from the Gladiator heights of leather kilted hotness.

 
At May 23, 2005 8:18 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anything by Naomi Shemer (Israeli folk singer)...and if not, I Guess That's Why They Call it the Blues (by Elton John).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home