Tuesday, April 24, 2007

not a fair swap

A coworker (he's a software programmer in his 50s), said to me today: "I don't want to go to another meeting to discuss features. Every time I spend time thinking about how to implement a new feature, I'm pretty sure I lose a really good memory. There's only so much room up there, you know? And I'm pretty sure I'm about to forget that time when I was eight years old and was poking around in the swamp with my friend Tim and I got a soaker. You know? I don't want to be on my death bed, remembering how I worked out how to get this database to talk to that database."

2 Comments:

At April 25, 2007 1:43 a.m., Blogger Jonathan Beckett said...

This is SO TRUE (well... for me, anyway). I spend the greater part of every day at the moment writing object oriented programming for the "dot net framework", talking to various stored procedures in various databases, and jumping through various hoops to make web interfaces do things they shouldn't be able to... and I cannot remember anything any more.

 
At April 27, 2007 11:55 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the regular expressions man! They kill braincells. The next thing you know you are dreaming in /^[0-9]*.$/ and you've forgotten your first kiss or your grandmother's phone number, and it's all over...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home