Monday, December 12, 2005

Love, my little dumplings, is worth the effort

How I dearly loved a fish, a barrel, and a smoking gun. Dead since 2001, I used to read SUCK religiously every morning at work.

Wednesdays were the best, because while Wednesday is the cruelest weekday of them all when you are working at a job you hate, SUCK came through for me EVERY Wednesday with the gloriously bitter FILLER. I highly recommend that you take hours out of your life to go read some. One delightful series is comprised of the Men/Women To Avoid. You know these people.

Filler was written by Heather Havrilesky under her nom de plume Polly Esther. Silly of me to take this long, years in fact, to discover that she's of course still writing - for Salon etc, and on her Rabbit Blog, a profanity-doused advice column.

To wit, this entry from January 10 2005, the whole of which expresses exactly how I feel, (although I probably would not have expressed it using the word "fuckwiener", because grievously, until now, I'd never heard it before):

We've all been through all kinds of bullshit. But believing in love makes love possible, and deciding that it's impossible is fucking stupid. Getting hurt is no big deal, idiots. I've been hurt and hurt and hurt and hurt. Every time it's easier. You have to keep leaping, keep throwing yourself in. Find someone who's worthy of your crazy mind and your stupid notions and your filthy urges and your homemade waffles with blueberries on top. Fuck the flinchy and the fault-finding! Find someone who's fun and moody and sweet, someone who knows how to listen and apologize, someone with opinions about everything, someone who can't help but tell you how great you are, often. I know you can do it, fuckwieners. I'm counting on you.


Go read the rest of that rant. It's a good one.

1 Comments:

At December 12, 2005 2:09 p.m., Blogger The Dude said...

I can't believe how great the word "fuckweiners" is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home